Hale Legal Provide Assistance with Wills & Estate Planning

Wills and Estates

An Understanding Approach - Commercially Astute Advice

What is a Will?
A Will is a legal document which specifies how a person’s estate is to be distributed once they have passed away.

Do I need a Will?
Everyone should have a Will but this is particularly important if you want to specify who is to receive your assets, or have a business, or sizeable assets. Without a Will your estate may be distributed to people you do not wish to provide for, or can be left in uncertainty which could result in it taking substantially longer for your affairs to be dealt with which may in turn affect your business.

Having a valid Will can make life easier on your loved ones. Indeed, without a valid Will the process of dealing with your affairs will, almost certainly, be more stressful, costly and time consuming.

Hale Legal’s services in this area include:

What are the likely costs?

Hale Legal is more than happy to assist you to plan your estate and/or prepare a Will so please feel free to contact us.

We have an estate planning guide which provides very helpful information in relation to estate planning and also sets out indicative legal fees.

With a professional, experienced and considerate approach, the legal side of wills and estates can become a reassuring, rather than stressful, experience. Hale Legal helps families and individuals deal with challenging legal and personal issues that may call for immediate attention.

Our experienced lawyers can provide advice, documentation and representation ranging from drafting a simple will, through to challenging the administration of a complex estate.  Hale Legal understands that these circumstances can be difficult and challenging, and we are conscious of this and the need to provide personalised and tailored solutions for our clients.

When disputes or issues occur the best interests of our clients are maintained, aiming to resolve problems as quickly as possible. In these circumstances, Hale Legal maintains a focus on client outcomes, taking a sensible approach to disputes and the strains on family relationships.


Contesting or challenging an estate under the Family Provision Act 1972 (WA)

Regardless of whether you have a valid Will, the following persons have the ability to apply to the Supreme Court of Western Australia under the Family Provision Act 1972 (WA) for a provision to be made for them out of your estate if they have not been adequately provided for:

Hale Legal has considerable experience in dealing with claims under the Family Provision Act 1972 (WA) and are happy to assist you. An application to contest or challenge an estate under the Family Provision Act must be brought within 6 months from the date on which the executor or the administrator becomes entitled to administer the estate of the deceased in Western Australia unless the Court grants leave to bring the application out of time.

In light of this, it is important to act promptly and this is especially so because an application to defend or make a claim under the Family Provision Act takes time to prepare.

Contesting or challenging an estate generally

If you are contesting or challenging the validity of a Will on a basis other than the Family Provision Act 1972 (WA) you ought obtain legal advice urgently as undue delay often causes complications. Our office is experienced in these matters and is more than happy to assist you.


Contact Us

Have a Question?


Call us on:

(08) 6144 4470

We are located at:

Level 5, 5 Barrack St, Perth